Friday, May 23, 2008

Just an Update

Christopher has been able to finish his first two weeks of class with a breeze. He is studying a lot but it seems for the most part that he is doing very well and grasping all of the concepts very easily for now anyway. He studies for about 3-4 hours a night but is doing really great. Lately he has been very excited to start intramurals. They played their first football game on Thursday. It was the first semester students against the third semester students. Christopher's team lost but they played really well and scored more than another other first semester team from what we have heard. He also started volleyball intramurals yesterday and although they won their game, Christopher said it wasn't very fun because they other team was not very good at all. I am not sure he will continue to play volleyball for the whole semester. Now although it may sound like he is spending a lot of time playing intramurals, he really isn't. They spend like maybe 3 hours a week on intramurals and the rest I feel like is completely devoted to studying. But the football intramurals are a huge deal here and there are normally a ton of people who come out and watch the games. Last semester we heard that at the final game there were like 200-300 people out their watching. So it is pretty crazy. 

In the meantime, I have been trying occupy my time by baking. I made four loaves of bread the other day because I was bored and all of our friends bought it from me. I was so excited. I just made it because I was bored and now people are beginning to ask me to continue to make it for them weekly or every other week. So that is exciting. It keeps me busy anyway. So I know that I have mentioned in the past about the grocery stores and how they don't really compare to the grocery stories back at home but here is a picture of James Store. It is the biggest grocery store here. Even though it is the biggest it isn't always the best because you have to make sure and check expiration dates here. James often sells stuff that are 2-3 months out of date. 


 
The other two pictures are pictures of local places to eat. Brothers is a chinese food place that is really very good and Perky's Pizza is some of the best pizza I have ever had. These two places are the closet to United States food. I mean in taste anyway. It is so funny here but because it costs so much for electricity here all of the local food places do not have air conditioner. So at Perky's you eat outside and in brothers they have big fans blowing instead of A/C.

I am excited to say that we have been here for a month tomorrow. Which means we only have 15 more here on the island and 3 until we come home for a break. Time has gone by really fast here so far and we are learning to enjoy the simple life. 

The Lord really has been working in our lives while we are here and it is amazing how blinded we were back at home by everyday luxuries. We truly have been able to enjoy God's beautiful creations. It is such a relief here to walk into a local store and hear Michael W. Smith playing in the background, or to walk into the local restaurant and the cook in the back is singing so loud you can hear him singing "How Great Thou Art". These simple things here keep us going because it is a constant reminder that our Lord is with us everyday watching over us and that he brought us here to do his work. We have learned more and more everyday the true understanding of living for Jesus and not for ourselves. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that everything is going well!! I can't wait to see you in a few weeks!! Tell Christopher hi! Love you lots!!
-Sher

Unknown said...

Jesus is always in our midst. I'm just glad He has brought you to a place to teach you and show you Himself in a different way!

Mimi said...

It has been great for me to catch up on all of the blogs I have missed. I love hearing how God's Presence is in every place, like you have been experiencing. What do you know about the history of Dominica ......evangelistically speaking??