Tuesday, May 13, 2008

June Cleaver and the First day of School

Yesterday was the first day of school for Christopher and I think that he really enjoyed it. I think that they started off pretty light on the information just so that they could get acquainted with the new material but even still Christopher spent the first afternoon studying in the library. This semester Christopher will go to class from 8-noon and then depending on the week he will have anatomy lab like 3 afternoons out of the week. So he will have some afternoons off.

While Christopher went off to school I got up and began my day of what I would like to compare to June Cleaver. I woke up and swept the floors and began my day of baking. I have never actually taken on this baking task besides making a few loaves of banana nut bread, so this was a new adventure for me. I decided that since the last time we went and bought bread from the market it went bad in two days, that I would make us some home made bread. So I took out my recipe for Talemy bread from Sittie and began my adventure of the day. Once the bread was done rising I decided that I didn't want to just make bread I wanted to make some cinnamon rolls, and while I was at it I decided that I would try to make some egg stuffed bread (only because it was the only thing I had left in the fridge were a few eggs). I was very excited when the end result turned out awesome. Christopher came home and he absolutely loved the cinnamon rolls and he said that the Talemy bread tasted like Sitties, which was what I was going for. Now for anyone who has made bread, it takes a long time for the bread to rise, so this ended up being about a four hour adventure for me. Just enough time to keep me busy while Chris was in class. I really enjoyed it and decided that my daily job may be to make bread/pastries and potentially sell them.






Something I find extremely interesting here on the island is the way that they build houses and apartments here. The way that they hold up the frame of the house is by trees. Unlike what we do by using boards. It is so interesting and really a great art. This place always has something that is new and interesting. Speaking of interesting we learned the other day that if Christopher Columbus were alive today the only place on earth he would recognize would be Dominica, because it has not changed since he was around.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Katy Your bread looks awesome! You are such an incredible woman. A Proverbs 31 woman. I think that is the passage?! Love you Mom

Anonymous said...

yummy bread. in fact, i am going to go eat something. love you and miss you!!! - kayla

Mimi said...

Great looking rolls!! Surely that is not the first time you have made cinnamon rolls??? I am impressed.
Love, Nana