Monday, September 8, 2008

Back on the Rock

We made it back safely to Dominica on Friday night and have just been getting back into the grove of things here in Dominica. We were quickly reminded of the slow pace life immediately after landing into Dominica because they lost our bags. For some reason they only put like 20 bags on the plane that had about 60 people on it. Now keep in mind that we got here Friday night and it is now currently Monday morning and still no bags. Well that is just typical for Dominica. I guess it is no big deal because all we really had in our bags was food. But I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't get our bags until the middle or end of this week.
We were so excited (well I wouldn't say soooooo excited but you know what I mean) when we got here because we just knew that on Saturday we were going to get the OU game on our TV since they were playing on ABC and well we have ABC so we were super excited about that but come to find out we didn't get the coverage for the game because we have the New York ABC network and we got some other game instead. So being the OU fans we are we were scrambling around trying to figure out a way to either listen to or watch the game. We finally found a website that we could listen to Bob Barry on which was at least better than nothing but then the greatest idea came to us. Lets call and get ourselves put in front of the computer at home using Skype. So We called the Shadid's and they put the computer webcam up to the computer and we got to watch the whole game on the computer. Haha! Super ghetto, I know but hey we do what we can down here in Jungle.






We had such a great time while we were at home. We saw a lot of friends and family, went to the lake, and ate at probably every restaurant we could. We just enjoyed being with everyone and getting to enjoy a little down time in the A/C. We have been very lucky lately in Dominica because it has not been too terribly hot since we got back. Which is really nice. Since we left we got a new store here in Dominica. I haven't been able to go over there yet because well I thought they were closed yesterday because well everything is closed on Sundays but I was wrong. They are actually open on Sundays. It is called 7-11 and well I can only hope it is like our 7-11. But I serioulsy doubt it. That would be amazing though. Haha! I never thought I would be hoping for a 7-11.
I have already been getting back into the swing of things because well in Dominica there is no "hey let me run to the grocery store real fast" because that tends to be a half a day trip. So I made some bread yesterday to get back into the swing of things. I also did it yesterday because we were being spoiled and had the A/C on all day so I baked with the A/C on for a change. It is a lot cooler when you do that.







I have also been attempting a new hobby. Baking cakes. This is probably not the skinniest hobby I could have tried to come up with but I think it is fun. I like it more down here in Dominica because there isn't a bakery that you can go buy any of that from. So I practiced a little bit while I was home. I made a dog cake for my cousin Molly's birthday. She wanted a pink dog and well when I heard that I was like I have no idea how to make a pink dog. But i researched it a little bit online and here is what i was able to come up with. I think it turned out pretty cute.








Before we left for home I also made another cake for a friend of ours birthday. Siva, our friend, had a birthday like the Friday after we left for home so before we left we wanted to celebrate and I made this cake for her Birthday.




Chris started class today and he absolutely loves his new class Neurology. He has always said that he enjoys that but after the first lecture I think he loves it. So although this could be a really difficult semester because it is a lot more work than first semester I think he is going to do great because he loves everything he is doing. I am so proud of everything he has accomplished and I know that God has us exactly where he needs us to be. There are times where we may question the purpose of us being in Dominica and why we have to be away from the ones we love back at home but God always reminds us that he has a plan for each one of us and although it may not be our ideal plan it is His plan and that is what we are here on this Earth for. We are here to serve our God and not ourselves so although circumstances may not be what we want it is God's will for our lives to be obedient and walk patiently with Him. For he knows the best plan for our lives.

For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord. They are plans for good and not for evil, to give you a future and hope. Jeremiah 29:11

3 comments:

The Miller Family said...

Hi I am happy to see you enjoy making cakes, do you plan on baking bread also? We are coming to the Island in December and I have two young boys and was hoping someone would be baking bread like Ashley and Andrea did so I could just purchase it, it would make our life a little easier :)

shad said...

Yeah definitely I would be more than happy to.

The Miller Family said...

Wonderful!
Also I am sure I will need someone to bake fun cakes for the boys Birthdays and Holidays while we are on the Island.

I love your puppy dog cake, Great Job, if I ever attempted something like that it would be very scary but my husband the jack of all trades loves making cakes you should check out our blog and go to June and July and see the cakes he made for the boys, who knows it could give you come ideas on the different shapes :)